Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Too Hot To Handle

I've sweat a lot in the past two days. First from walking around the hot, sticky streets and subways of Manhattan. Second, from the heat yoga class I tried tonight. After feeling like I lived in a sauna for two days, I've come to realize that there is a strong distinction between a good sweat and a very bad sweat.
The sweat I experience in the heat of New York is definitely the bad sweat. The second I step off the Metro-North train, I can feel the heat prickling at my skin with the blast of hot, stale air from the train tracks. This thin film of moisture grows exponentially as I enter the subway. The air is thick with body odor, trash, and God knows what else. People are everywhere, turning left and right, bumping into you as you wait for the train. By the time the subway arrives, it's hard to tell how much sweat is your own and how much is sweat rubbed off from other people. Ew. You would think the AC in the subway car brings a wave of relief, but it only causes me more anxiety. With the sudden change in temperature, I realize how sweaty I actually am. I feel the growing sweat stain on my back and my thighs stick to the plastic seat. The more I think about how disgusting I feel, the more I continue to sweat. Finally, the subway arrives at my destination and I rush to get some "fresh" city air (what an oxymoron). By the time I have escaped the oppressive hell that is the subway, I am now sweating even MORE from hustling as fast as I can and carrying all my belongings. The air outside does feel much better and breathable, but not for long. As I walk along the sidewalks I feel an occasional drip of dirty water from an air-conditioner above. Or a heavy, dirty blow of air from a passing truck. Or a sudden gust of hot air rushes up my skirt from the passing subway below--this is no doubt the WORST sensation. By the time I've reached my destination, whether it be meeting a friend or yet another "informational interview", I feel so awful and defeated that I just want to strip naked and stand under a cold shower forever. Like I said: bad sweat.
Now for the good sweat. I do enjoy sweat when it is appropriate. There is something so empowering and detoxifying about a good sweat. I love wiping the perspiration off my face after a good workout. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and self-worth. The sweat is a sign that I have done something good for my body. I am able to appreciate the biological purpose of sweat: to cool our bodies. (It is very hard to appreciate this process when heading into an interview, your thighs are sticking together, sweat is still sticking to your hairline, and all you want to do is strip naked and jump in a pool).
My shot at heat yoga tonight is a perfect example of a good sweat. I've been looking to switch up my exercise routine for a while now, so my mom and I started taking some pilates/yoga classes at a studio recommended by her yogi friend. So what a better way to switch it up than try heat yoga! The room was heated to about 95 degrees. Today it was extra "juicy", as the teacher described, due to the heat outside. But even in the heated room, I never once felt suffocated or oppressed. In fact, the heat felt quite liberating--both mentally and physically. I was able to stretch beyond my normal limits and hold positions that I've never done before. With each bead of sweat that dripped off my body and onto my yoga mat, I felt the weight of my endless job search drip out as well. With each breath and posture, I was able to take another worry or thought out of my head and put it in a box for later. I realized there was nothing I could do about finding a job or making money at that exact moment. The only thing I could do right then is breathe and focus on the movements. Of course a couple hours later, I am back to browsing jobs online, but for those 75 minutes I was able to truly appreciate this emptying sensation and the present moment.
But no matter how you slice it, good sweat or bad sweat, it still feels so good to shower in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment