Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Spooked!

Well, not really. More like briefly entertained. My mom and I just finished watching "The Crazies". It is new to On Demand, and if you have not yet heard of it that is probably because it has been out on DVD longer than it was in theaters. Long story short, it was not good. The whole premise is a biological weapon that the US "accidentally" dumped in a small town in Iowa. The weapon spreads a virus that causes people to go crazy and kill each other. It was similar to "The Happening", which came out a few years ago and also was not very good. The movie was definitely entertaining though--my mom and I had a few good laughs at its ridiculousness, and we covered our eyes several times from all the blood and guts. But was it actually scary? No.
Although I must say that I am quite picky when it comes to scary movies. Few movies truly frighten me to the core and leave me lying awake with the lights on at night. Especially in recent years horror movies have become less and less scary, and more and more stupid. Over-the-top special effects and futuristic story lines are just too ridiculous to be believable. ("Paranormal Activity"? It was painful to watch; it was THAT bad.) For me, what makes a good scary movie is one that could actually happen; it is realistic. Movies about ghosts and zombies, while maybe thrilling in the moment, do not hang over me after its end. I can leave, take a deep breath, and sleep soundly at night knowing that zombies don't actually roam the streets at night. Movies about mind games and serial killers...now those freak me out. "Silence of the Lambs" and "The Shining"...I'm getting spooked just thinking about them now!
I never understood why some people hate scary movies. I love the thrill and the excitement of it! But I guess my love for scary movies is a bit atypical (why would anyone want to be scared by something that could actually happen?). When I was young, my imaginary friend was Casper, albeit, the Friendly Ghost. As a two year-old my favorite movie was "The Wizard of Oz" (watching it now, I'm surprised I was never frightened by the wicked witch or those creepy-looking monkeys). I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark on Nickelodeon, and I was an avid reader of R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series. I loved to play with the Ouija board at sleepovers, and have been to a psychic several times. Sophomore year of high school I even wrote a research paper about ghosts.
I'm not sure where my interest in the supernatural and the spooky comes from. I am not a risk taker or very adventurous. I generally follow the rules and abide by speed limits. So I guess these scary movies pique my curiosity and allow me to be "adventurous" in the safety of my own home. I may not be willing to take a risk or seek a thrill in the real world, but when it comes to scary movies, I am a world-class skydiver! I love a good spook now and then, as long as I know I can sleep soundly at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment