Friday, August 13, 2010

Game Time=Food Time

I am probably one of the worst sports fans. The only teams I know are those from Boston/New England, and the few athletes I know are either the star players or those who are dating someone else famous (i.e. Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian). Last night at my first Patriots game I asked my dad a question about Teddy Bruschi, and was informed that he retired...oops!
Even at BC football games, I preferred to either watch inside, or would usually leave by halftime, because I was too cold and tired of standing up the whole time.
And in high school, I failed to keep up with my athletic friends on sports teams. I always sat on the sidelines, cheering on my friends, and probably eating all the snacks. I DREADED the timed mile or running sprints in practice. My favorite part of field hockey and lacrosse were the away games, because we got subs for dinner on the ride home. Score! So yes, sports have never been my thing and never will be.
BUT, the one thing I certainly do enjoy about sports is the culture and rituals surrounding the games; and more specifically, those rituals that involve food. As my dad and I drove into the parking lot last night, we rolled down the windows just so we could smell all the yummy goodness grilling at everyone's tailgate. Once we found our seats inside the stadium, our first priority was FOOD! When I’m at a sports game, I always go big or go home. So last night, I indulged in an Italian sausage, popcorn, ice cream, and of course, beer. I never really know what’s going on in sports, especially football, so food is the perfect distraction for me.
But greasy stadium food aside, I had a great time at my first Patriots game with my dad, pretending like I was a real fan.
I may not be an athlete, but I sure am a champion when it comes to eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment