Monday, August 23, 2010

Sweet Obsession


The rainy weather continues, and so does my craving for comfort food. Although today's comfort food came in much sweeter form than last night's pasta: Cupcakes.
I have yet to discuss my cupcake obsession on this blog. Probably because I value the cupcake as such a sacred object that I'm not sure words could do it justice. But here goes...
My love of cupcakes began my freshman year at NYU. This was right around the time when cupcakes started to become the new dessert trend. Carrie served cupcakes to of all her guests at her book launch in an episode of "Sex and the City" a couple years ago, so it was about time the cupcake fad hit New York.
My first real cupcake experience was at Magnolia Bakery on Bleeker Street. A buzz was brewing among students about Magnolia's "amazing" cupcakes, so my friend and I took a walk down Bleeker to see what the fuss was about. We showed up around 8PM at night, and the line was out the door and around the block! I did not understand what could be so good about a cupcake that people were willing to wait outside on this cold night. But my friend and I waited in line anyways, and thank God we did! Never had I tasted a cupcake so light and buttery. It looked just like a cupcake you might see in an American Girl Doll play set. I was in love instantly, and this was only the beginning...
Second semester of freshman year, Crumbs was the new thing. A new shop opened up on 8th street near our dorm, so my friend and I knew it was fate. These cupcakes were calling our names. It was a Thursday night, and rather than pregaming to go out, we ran to Crumbs to get cupcakes to eat while watching Grey's Anatomy. I still remember the massive devil's food and cookie dough cupcakes that we both shared. We devoured the cupcakes like little kids, then passed out in food comas as if we were 8 years old.
My next most notable cupcake memory was not until fall of sophomore year. Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery. This discovery marked the turning point in my cupcake career: from occasional cupcake eater to devoted cupcake fiend. Dangerously close to my downtown NYU dorm, my roommates and I made regular stops here at least once or twice a week. Sugar Sweet Sunshine's cupcakes are no doubt my favorite to this day. I have yet to find a more perfect balance of sweet, moist, buttery cake and fluffy, velvety, melt-in-your mouth frosting. I was so in love with this place that my roommates even bought me a thong from the bakery with a picture of a little cupcake on it that says "Eat Me!". (Don't worry Mom, I've never worn it).
Last summer also marked some serious cupcake discovery and experimentation. My friend and I made a list of every cupcake bakery we hoped to visit, and strategically planned when we would visit each. This was serious research. Here are some of the places we tried and my thoughts on them:
1. Billy's Bakery--I don't remember any specifics about these cupcakes except that I enjoyed them quite a lot.
2. Amy's Bread--probably my least favorite on this list. I remember the cupcake being somewhat dry, although we did arrive just before closing, so they were not fresh. Everything else here looked divine.
3. Sweet Revenge--So indulgent and such rich-tasting flavors. The cupcakes themselves look very sophisticated and sexy. They also offer a cupcake and sangria happy hour, which I of course loved!
4. Buttercup Bake Shop--this is my runner-up to Sugar Sweet Sunshine. Best frosting!
5. Baked By Melissa--mini cupcakes that pack a lot of flavor in such a little bite! I could eat these like popcorn!

The cupcake scene is just beginning to bud in Boston. The only two places I've tried in Boston are Sweet Cupcakes and Flour Bakery. The cupcake from Flour was delicious; but even better from Flour was the fudgiest, most chocolately brownie I've ever tasted! Not bad for Beantown!
Now that I am moving to NY in a couple weeks to start an internship, I must resume my cupcake quest. But in the meantime, some homemade cupcakes will have to hold over my cupcake craving.
My sister and I spent the afternoon baking red velvet
cupcakes with cream cheese frosting from Martha Stewart's "Cupcakes" cookbook. The cake had that perfect subtle chocolate flavor, and was so light and moist. Cream cheese frosting is not my favorite (I prefer buttercream), but this turned out to have the perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess.
Not so sweet that you feel like you're eating pure sugar, and not too tangy that it tastes like a bagel with cream cheese. Delectable!
There is no better way to cheer up a rainy day (or any day really) than with a cupcake!

1 comment: