Monday, August 9, 2010

Dancin' With Myself


Last night's Ke$ha and Rihanna concert was UnReAl!! Rihanna put on quite the show--6 different outfits, several set changes, great backup dancers, and too many songs to count! But beyond the great spectacle of it all, Rihanna's talent undoubtedly shined through. She can still belt it and bust a move, even in the sweltering heat of the lights (our seats were so close that we could see the sweat on her face!). She has such a unique edge to her voice and her entire style. No one else can quite pull off the flashy red bowl cut, long silver nails, funky unitards, and MASSIVE bejeweled boots like Rihanna. Over the years, she has developed a style that is truly her own. Just like the "Rachel" from the early 90's, the "Rihanna" is now a hairstyle we've all come to know and love.
I've always admired Rihanna for her amazing style and trendsetting abilities. But what hooked me from the beginning is her catchy, fun, empowering music. I loved singing and dancing along to "Pon de Replay" whenever I heard it on the radio in the car. By the time "S.O.S" came out, I was much more aware of Rihanna as an artist. By the release of her album "Good Girl Gone Bad" I was a self-proclaimed fan. "Umbrella", "Don't Stop the Music", and "Shut Up and Drive"
all played on repeat while working out at the gym, getting ready to party, or even walking to class. I still get excited whenever I hear "Disturbia".
The songs off her more recent album "Rated R" are definitely edgier, less poppy, more rockish, and a lot more raunch. Although I'm definitely still a fan, nothing quite gets me moving like "Disturbia" and some of her earlier songs. There is something so infectious about her music that you really can't help but shimmy along.
This is how I come to find my favorite artists: those whose music I never get sick of, can always dance to, and pick me up no matter what mood I'm in. (Other such artists/performers are Britney Spears and all songs from "Glee"). I will never be able to pull off Rihanna's hair, bejeweled boots, or metallic fake nails; but at least her music makes me feel like I can dance like a rockstar.

1 comment:

  1. I am a huge Rihanna fan too, she definitely does have a completely unique look and style to her, which is no doubt a part of her Caribbean upbringing. I hope she continues to roll out the hits in the future, shes still only 22. But I don't think any song will top "Disturbia," which was released in 2008 and is my favorite Rihanna track.

    ReplyDelete