Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Eat Eat Eat

After much anticipation, I finally saw "Eat Pray Love". I read the book en route to Florence this summer, and have been waiting ever since to see the movie.
Overall, the film lived up to my expectations. Julia Roberts was all that you would hope to be: charming, emotional, and captivating. I actually enjoyed the character of Liz more in the movie than Elizabeth Gilbert in her book. The book Liz annoyed me at times. She could be overly dramatic, always crying whether she was happy or sad, and kissing a tree? It was a little too much for me to handle at times. But Julia eluded a much better and more likable balance of vulnerability and passion in the movie character.
I don't think any woman would complain about the casting of Javier Bardem as her Brazilian lover Felipe. Bardem captured all the sensuality and yumminess that I could have hoped for. However, I do feel pretty bad for Gilbert's ex-husband, wherever he is. The movie portrayed him as a complete weirdo-loser. The scene where he starts screaming and breaking out into song with the divorce lawyer was quite odd.
The scenery in all four locations--New York, Italy, India, and Bali--was beautiful and breathtaking. My least favorite part of the book, the "Pray" section set at the Ashram in India, was made much more relatable and enjoyable in the movie. The characters of Richard and Tulsi really brought this part to life, rather than reading about her meditating for hours and making out with trees.
But of course, my favorite part in both the movie and the book was "Eat", set in no other place but Rome. It is hard not to fall in love with the city, the people, and the food she encounters in this section. Everything is just so sensual and lovable, from her adorable tutor friend Giovanni, to the laundry hanging in the streets of Naples. And don't even get me started on the food! The simple plate of spaghetti in a perfect little round, topped with the greenest leaf of basil had me hypnotized instantaneously. I loved the arty juxtaposition between Liz's meal with friends and the tender preparation shown in the grilled artichokes and linguine with clams. Not only was the food beautiful to look at, but also symbolized how good, loved food unites people from different countries and languages.
Besides salivating at the food, what I loved most about Liz's time in Italy (in the book and the movie) was the Italian way of life. Living for pleasure and enjoying each pleasure like its the best thing you've ever tasted/seen/experienced. One of my favorite quotes comes from her friend Giovanni: "Il bel far niente"--the pleasure of doing nothing. This is a concept that is so foreign and unknown to Americans. What does doing nothing even mean? We are constantly wired to phones, computers, TV. A type-A person myself, I struggle to empty my mind and savor a simple moment of nothingness. I think we could all learn a lesson or two from those Italians.
While most of us can't afford to give up a year of our lives to travel the world and find ourselves, a trip to see "Eat Pray Love" can get us around the world for about 1o bucks in only 2 hours. I wouldn't say the movie or the book moved me to find my inner peace and happiness, but both helped me to savor "il bel far niente" just for a few moments. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment