Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Please Sir, May I have some More-occan?

The answer is yes, you can definitely have some Moroccan food...and lots of it!
Moroccan food is a cuisine that I always enjoy to order at a restaurant, but rarely cook on my own. Typical Moroccan spices, such as coriander, cumin, cinnamon, and saffron, are some of my favorites out there. These spices all have such distinct, deep flavors and beautiful colors that they make any meal feel special and exotic. Well last night, my friend Elana and I took a culinary trip to the exotics in her own Manhattan kitchen...
In anticipation for Glee's "Brittany vs. Britney" episode, which I have been waiting for since early spring, we wanted to celebrate with a delicious, homemade meal. I had a recipe for Moroccan Grilled Salmon saved on my computer that I've always wanted to try, but never got around to it. So with Elana and I both being adventurous cooks and eaters, this was the perfect opportunity to try it. Also being 2 girls with insatiable appetites, we knew salmon would not be enough to satisfy us; so Elana found a recipe for Moroccon Couscous from the Barefoot
Contessa. Parfait!
Elana started by making the marinade and sauce for the salmon--yogurt, garlic, olive oil, coriander, and cumin. I was in charge of all the chopping and cutting--smashing the garlic, slicing the lemon wedges, chopping the cilantro, etc. The kitchen filled with such wonderful smells. From the freshness of the cilantro, to the warmth of the cumin, it was like we were in an authentic Moroccan kitchen (well, almost).
After covering the salmon in the marinade and sticking it under the broiler, it was onto the couscous. The couscous was also very simple. We first sautéed some shallots in butter, then added chicken stock and the couscous and allowed that to cook for 10 minutes. One little mishap, however, was my failure to realize how HOT Elana's burners get...Luckily the majority of the couscous was in good condition, but there was a nice crusty layer of burnt couscous on the bottom of her pot. I feel terrible that I ruined a perfectly good pot (I'm buying you a new one!), but I think we were both relieved that we could still eat the couscous.
In the end, it was a very successful, simple, and tasteful meal. The salmon was cooked perfectly; and the sauce had such a distinct Moroccan taste from those spices--the best way to find out what Moroccan food tastes like is just to try it yourself! Despite my little cooking faux-pas, the couscous was great too--the pine nuts added great creamy, heartiness, and the raisins added a sweet touch.
Not that I'm an expert on international cuisines, but I'd say we came pretty close to makin' Moroccan in Manhattan.

No comments:

Post a Comment