Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hidden Gems

On the day off from my internship today, I experienced some local treasures in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. Until I find a full-time, paid position (PLEAAASE!), I'm staying with my grandma, or Ga-ga as she is fondly called in my family. This is the house my mom grew up in. I've visited Hastings hundreds of time before, but have not ventured far from the confines of Ga-ga's house. So today's taste of Hastings with Ga-ga as my tour guide was full of pleasant surprises.
Our first stop was Antoinette's Patisserie. Set on not the nicest part of Warburton Ave.,
Antointette's was like a diamond in the rough. Cracked paint on the walls give it an antique-y, lived-in feel. Small, round tables and fresh flowers create a cozy, intimate setting. The cafe is owned by Antoinette (we saw her, so she really does exist!), and her two children work there as well. They must be a happy family, because everyone was cheery and friendly.
Antoinette's is known for its pastries and cakes, but they have quite a sophisticated lunch menu as well. Croque-monsieurs, lasagna, and Moroccan stuffed peppers were a few stand-outs on the menu.
Ga-ga and I both had the curried chicken salad. This was no ordinary salad. There were so many components beyond the chicken, each bite was like tasting something new. Besides the chicken salad,which had a wonderful curry flavor and beautiful yellow color, the salad was also topped with strawberries, cucumbers, and avocado. A delicious treat was a piece of panko-crusted zucchini, which added a nice crunch to the dish.
There was also a mixture of currants and some nutty grain (I thought maybe it was lentils or quinoa, but don't think it was either). The whole salad was topped off with a drizzle of intense, syrupy balsamic vinegar. And on the side was some perfectly crusty and chewy homemade bread. It sounds like a lot to fit on one plate, and it was, but everything went together so well, I wouldn't have changed a thing. I also had a chai latte, which was one of the best I've ever had. (Sorry, Starbucks!) I definitely plan to visit Antoinette's again, if not for their wonderful
espresso and chai, then certainly to try a pastry or two!
Next up was the Cropsey Museum of Hastings. Jasper Francis Cropsey was an American painter from the mid-19th century. Painting in the romantic tradition, his works feature beautiful
landscapes, many of Hastings and nearby settings. The entire museum is a work of art in itself. From the delicate landscaping, to the ornate gallery, and Cropsey's storybook-ish cottage, it is amazing to think that such beauty stands only a couple hundred feet from the train station.
Ga-ga and I did not visit Cropsey's collection, for which you need to schedule an appointment, but we did view the special exhibit, Triad: Three American Painters. Stephen Gjertson's paintings varied from religious subjects, to landscapes, to portraits. I especially liked his portraits, which were so lifelike. Many of his portraits featured children, some his own, and it was hard not to love these.
The second artist, Kirk Richards, had still lifes, landscapes, and portraits. I was most struck by his use of color. The way his paintings capture light or a sunrise, I swear it's as if you are seeing it out of your own window.
Steve Armes, the third artist, had mostly landscapes. He had several paintings of Tuscan villages and the Amalfi coast, which Ga-ga and I appreciated.
I have to admit that I don't always have the patience for art museums. If I don't like the art, I easily get bored and lose interest. But I truly did enjoy the three artists featured in the special exhibit. Even more so, I loved the entire feel and history of the Cropsey museum, and hope to return to view the entire collection sometime soon!
With New York City only 30 minutes away, it is easy to get caught up in the scene of trendy restaurants, bars, and museums. But my day in the burbs, reminded me that sometimes the most charming and unique places are just around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. Cara, you are a wonderful writer. I look forward to reading your interesting & creative blog each day. You make me want to try new foods that I never thought I would with your beautiful descriptions. I enjoy your pictures too. Someone in NYC will recognize your talent soon!! Until then keep doing "the good-good" as your Aunt Rose would say!

    ReplyDelete