Monday, October 4, 2010

Kid's Menu

After spending the past 4 days in Disney World, I was ready for some grown-up food. Disney's parks and its food really are a kid's dream come true: chicken fingers, french fries, Mickey Mouse shaped waffles. Don't get me wrong, it was great to play and eat like a kid again. But by the end of the 4 days I was really starting to crave some real, sophisticated (and healthy) food.
[I don't mean to bash on Disney's food. There are definitely some culinary delights here if you seek them out. Two notable meals I had were duck pot stickers at the Kona Café at Disney's Polynesian Resort, and seared ahi tuna at the Grand Floridian Cafe at Disney's Grand Floridian. Both were quite delicious and served a much needed break from my breakfasts of french toast and lunches of fast food sandwiches.]

So after leafing through the new issue of Bon Appétit upon my return home, I was very excited to try the new recipe for Swordish with Olive, Pine Nut, and Parsley Relish for dinner tonight. Unfortunately, there wasn't any fresh swordfish at the charming DeCicco's Market in Ardsley, NY, but the halibut steaks looked super fresh--pure white in color and completely odorless. The recipe instructs to pan sauté the fish, so I knew halibut would be a sturdy, meaty substitute for the swordfish. I also decided to leave out the olives. I do enjoy olives, but I don't cook with them often enough to buy a whole can that would only go to waste.

This was a very simple recipe. Just season the fish, sauté it in oil, then add shallots, garlic, pine nuts, parsley, white wine (and olives) to create the relish, and serve over the fish. However, I did run into a little technical mishap. Cooking in my grandma's kitchen without my preferred cooking tools can be quite frustrating and limiting. Unfortunately, she doesn't always have all the spices or tools I need; and some of her kitchen gadgets are just a little...old. Well, the pan I used to cook the fish was very "well loved"...even though I added olive oil, the fish still stuck to the bottom of the pan, and fell apart into pieces :(

With the halibut I also made some parmesan-roasted asparagus. I once made Ina Garten's recipe for parmesan-roasted broccoli, and have now adapted it to every vegetable. It is so easy, but always results in such flavorful and perfectly cooked veggies. Just toss the vegetable of choice with some olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and grated parmesan cheese. Roast at a high temperature for 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies are fork tender. I especially love roasting asparagus because the tips get a little crisp and burnt from the high heat.

After my small cooking blip there was no chance my halibut would look as pretty as the picture in Bon Appétit, BUT it sure tasted as good as the picture looked! The pine nuts, parsley, and white wine gave it a great Mediterranean flavor; and the asparagus was delicious, as always. In the end, it may not have been Bon Appétit cover-worthy, but it sure beat Mickey Mouse chicken fingers for dinner.
Bon Appetit's Swordfish

My Interpretation


Photo Courtesy of bonappetit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment