Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Foodie Freebies

Although my unpaid internships are actually costing me money by commuting into the city, they also come with some pretty cool perks. Especially when these perks involve food. Last weekend with Behind the Burner, I was invited to help at 2 video shoots. The first was at El Porron, and the second was at Upstairs at the Kimberly Hotel. At El Porron I got to taste some tortilla espanola (see earlier post). At Upstairs, I had a few sips of a pear-sandalwood-vanilla vodka infused cocktail, the "Rum Service", and more than a few bites of grilled calamari with a tarragon emulsion. With free gourmet food and cocktails, you could get me to work anytime on a weekend.
On behalf of Behind the Burner I will also dine (for free!) at Peter's Since 1969 in Brooklyn tomorrow night. Review to come on that soon...
But last night, I was in tasting heaven. As an intern for Regan Communications, I was invited to help at the 9th annual Cuisine of Queens event hosted by Dish du Jour Magazine. After assisting with media check-ins, I was allowed to roam free at the event. Once inside, I become the epitome of a kid in a candy store. With over 50 food and beverage vendors, I didn't know the best way to begin but to sample everything (well, almost everything).
As I rode the 7 train back to Grand Central, I attempted to recount all that I tasted by taking notes on my Blackberry. The following list is comprehensive, but I'm sure I forgot a few things...
-Pumpkin tortellini
-Pumpkin tart
-Apple crumble tart from Astor Bake Shop
-Spiced cookie with dried fruit from Art-0-Polis
-Vanilla chai, hot chocolate, and pumpkin mini cupcakes and a mini fudge brownie from Kisscake (can't find a link for this one!)
-Chocolate covered pumpkin cheesecake from Lulu's Italian Bakery
-Vegetable Samosa and naan
-Mini burger with caramelized onions from 5 Napkin Burger
-Various sushi from Central Sushi Lounge
-Chicken egg roll from Bourbon Street Cafe
-Ostrich, veal, and boar meatball from Trattoria L'Incontro
-Baked escargot from 718 Restaurant

For the few that I did not mention the restaurant's name that's because I could not remember the name of the restaurant, which ultimately means I wasn't too impressed with the food. As a huge fan of all things pumpkin, I was very excited to try the pumpkin tortellini. It may sound good in theory, but pumpkin is better off in my pie, not my pasta.
But after trying so many different foods, how could I determine a favorite? With my excitement still bubbling and the flavors still mixing in my mouth, I definitely needed some time to ponder. Twenty four hours later, with a fresh head and a clean palate, my judging factors are these 3 questions: Which food first comes to mind? Of which food do the flavors still ring clear in my memory? And most importantly, which food would I want to eat again?
There were a few close contenders, but the food I've been thinking about (and wanting more of) since last night is.....drumroll please....

Trattoria L'incontro's ostrich, veal and boar meatballs! Owned by acclaimed Italian chef, Rocco Sacramone, I was skeptical of my own decision at first. Did I perceive his meatballs to be the best just because of his name, or were they actually the best at the whole event? Well the taste buds don't lie. If something tastes good, it tastes good regardless of any bias or reputation. These meatballs had such a unique, complex flavor profile, yet still reminded me of my Ga-ga's traditional meatballs. The mixture of meats had a very moist and smooth consistency, with a luxurious, buttery taste. The mushroom sauce also added a unique twist to the expected red sauce. I'm always a fan of taking a traditional recipe and reinventing it in new and unexpected ways. Trattoria L'incontro's meatballs did just that.
Even though Trattoria L'incontro was the winner in my book, any event that involves (free!) food tastings is a grand success.

No comments:

Post a Comment