Monday, September 20, 2010

Do you come here a latte?

I've already discussed in a previous post coffee's integral role to my daily survival. But perhaps second best to coffee's superpowers is the concept of the coffee shop. I have always sought out unique coffee houses that serve up a delicious cup of joe and a whole lot of character. Don't get me wrong, Starbucks certainly does the trick when you need a quick caffeine fix. But as Starbucks has become the international prototype for the cool coffee shop, it has simultaneously become the antithesis of what an authentic coffee shop is meant to be. So whenever I discover a distinctive joint you can be sure it is quite a feat.
Enter JJ Beans in Dobbs Ferry, NY. After performing a Google search for coffee shops near Hastings, NY with wireless internet, JJ Beans was one of the first to pop up. I'm always a little apprehensive to trust the reviews on Google, but this place lived up to its ratings.
Set on Cedar Street, JJ Beans fits in perfectly with the other local spots that take their home here (such as Piccola Trattoria, a delicious hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant).
With a few tables inside and a few on the sidewalk, this is a great place to get some work done indoors or people-watch outside. Serving up a varied menu--make your own salads, hot panini, canolis, gelato, and breakfast pastries--JJ Beans is much more than a basic coffee shop. I had a rainbow-sprinkled sugar cookie, which reminded me of the cookies my mom used to by from the bakery when I was a kid.
But as good as the cookie was or as tempting as the gelato looked, JJ Beans really is all about the coffee. My latte had just the right amount of steamed milk, and the espresso was nice and bold. This is how a latte should taste; not like the espresso-flavored hot milk they try to pass for a latte at Starbucks.
After spending a couple hours doing some internship work, the afternoon was a success. Not only did I get some work done, but more importantly, I found my new coffee haven. I will definitely frequent JJ Beans a latte.
Photo Credits: Rivertowns Patch, http://rivertowns.patch.com/listings/jj-beans#photo-428267

1 comment:

  1. Besides your wonderfully entertaining writing, I love your titles, they give me a chuckle!

    ReplyDelete