Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary



How does your garden grow? Not with silver bells and cockle shells, I assume. But maybe I can use a few tips from Mary, as my newest project for the summer is my own herb garden.
I've always envied Ina Garten on the Barefoot Contessa as she casually struts through her vast garden, plucking fresh herbs and flowers. Until now, my "herb garden" has consisted of dried spices in the pantry and whatever "fresh" herbs I
can find at the supermarket. Well, envy no more! Ina, you've met your new match!
Today on a whim, my mom and I took a trip to
the nursery in the next town. I told the sweet woman at the counter
that I've always wanted to start an herb garden, but don't know the first thing about gardening. Lucky me, herbs are actually very low maintenance and thrive in the dry, heat of the summer (they must be loving this heat wave!). So, I bought a little trough, soil, and 5 different herbs: basil, rosemary, thyme, parsley, and mint. My mom and I packed up the car, and I was on the way to my own herb garden!
Herbs newly planted and installed on our deck, I was anxious to put my Ina Garden (hehe) to the test! My dad already planned to grill some chicken for dinner, so I figured I would incorporate some herbs into light, summery side dishes.
First, I made a tomato, red onion salad with basil and mozzarella. For the dressing, I just whisked together some red wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and salt & pepper.
Et voilà! The perfect summer salad! The combination of tomato, basil, and mozzarella is a favorite in my house, but the red onion and red wine vinegar added a tart, sweet kick to a beloved classic.
Next, I made a couscous with the parsley and fresh lemon juice. Very simple and subtle, but I love the way parsley adds a light freshness and color to an otherwise plain dish.
In the end, it was a delicious and satisfying meal, made all the more tasty by my herbs à la Ina.
Can't wait to incorporate the other herbs in another dish. Or maybe my next creation will be a fresh, mint mojito. Mmm...


1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the salad being delicous! I had 3 helpings, yum! Thanks Cara!

    ReplyDelete