Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kid at Heart

Last night my friend and I went to see Toy Story 3. I had heard rave reviews from several different people, so my expectations were pretty high. The movie great, if not better, than everyone else said it was! It was funny, action-packed, and emotional all at the same time. I'm not one to laugh out loud during a movie, but I had a good, hearty laugh several times throughout the movie. (One of my favorite lines was when Woody gets taken to Bonnie's house. He asks the other toys where he is, and the stegosaurus figurine responds, "We're either at a cafe in Paris, or a coffee shop in New Jersey." Don't ask me why, but I found this line hilarious). I think it was this kind of cute, simple humor that I enjoyed so much in Toy Story 3. It's been a while since I had a good laugh about something childish and innocent.
Tonight I had another chance to relive some funny and childish memories. Today is my good friend's birthday, so a couple of my girlfriends from home drove into Boston to meet up with the birthday girl and her friends for dinner. We went to The Beehive in the South End. It was a very cool place. Nice lighting and decor, with an almost a "speakeasy" vibe as one of my friends later described it. The drinks and food were yummy. The highlight being a grilled flatbread pizza, which was shared as an appetizer. But I always find at these types of gatherings--old friends reuniting, old friends meeting new friends--that the food is more of an afterthought. The details of the actual food take a backseat to the laughter and stories shared. There is nothing more filling than laughing and reminiscing about silly memories from our youth.
Amidst the stress of job searching and starting my new internship tomorrow, Toy Story 3 and tonight's dinner could not have come at a better time. Sometimes all it takes is a trip down memory lane and a good laugh to realize life ain't so bad after all.

1 comment:

  1. ah! i never heard of beehive! i would love to hear all about your boston restaurant adventures. just go down the list of everywhere you have been too. especially with restaurant week coming up next month!! - jac

    ReplyDelete