Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Dream of Genie. And Many other Weird Things.

My mom and I just got back from seeing the new movie Inception. I’ve been waiting to see this movie for a while, not so much because I was interested in the content, but because I have been a diehard Leonardo DiCaprio fan since Growing Pains. Besides seeing the dramatic commercials, I really had no idea what this movie was about before going in. And I’m not so sure I even know what it is about now. The whole idea of sharing dreams and dreams within a dream (within a dream, within a dream), was very cool and different, but also very hard to keep up with. At times I found that I was trying so hard to keep track of all the dream layers, that I missed whatever was going on at that moment. It was, however, quite entertaining, with its ever changing scenery, intense music, and of course, Leo. Although confusing and mind-boggling at times, I guess that’s what makes a good movie: one that leaves you still thinking about it afterwards. The idea of planting an idea in someone’s head through a dream is truly original and creative, and left me wondering if I’ve ever been subconsciously led to believe something because of a dream?
I always have quite vivid dreams that I remember the next day. Sometimes these dreams are so bizarre that I find myself thinking about them hours later. My most recent weird dream was from sometime last week. I dreamt that my pet dog Mack somehow obtained a gun and was trying to shoot me. My only protection was a paperback book that I used as a shield. Eventually, my mother seized the dog and took his gun. Then my whole family stood together and cried as we watched Mack being taken away to jail for bad animals. (Mack and I have a quite hostile relationship, but I never thought he would try to shoot me if given the chance!)
My mother also has very strange dreams—usually something terrible happens to me or one of my siblings. (She tends to worry about us…a lot). One of her weirdest dreams by war was when she was pregnant with me. She dreamt that I was growing in a garden, rather than in her womb, with Right-to-Life bumper stickers pasted around the fence. Instead of growing into a normal infant, I grew into a full-grown man. She cried and cried that she wanted a baby, not a grown man, for a child. I’m not even going to try to analyze where this one came from…
So maybe the weird dream trend is genetic in my family. Or maybe my mom and I are linked in a shared dream universe à la Inception!! Mwaahh-ha-ha! Who knows, but it is interesting to think about, or at least get a good laugh out of our kooky dreams.
Anyone else have any strange dreams you’d care to share or analyze? Feel free to explore here…

No comments:

Post a Comment