Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Words, Words, Words

It has been over a week now since I started my blog, and so far, so good! I've gotten such great feedback from friends and family, so thank you all for your support! It is encouraging to know that people actually enjoy my writing, since that is why I started this blog in the first place: not only to write about food, but also to get in the habit of writing everyday, with the hope that others will get something out of it too.
One of the reasons I was so apprehensive to start a blog was that I worried I wouldn't be able to find something interesting to write about everyday. Life at home in Westboro is far from exciting or eventful; but I've realized that you don't necessarily need something to happen in order to write. Usually it's the funny, little moments or random thoughts I have that will inspire me to write something here. Most days, I start with an idea of what I want to write about, but that usually completely changes depending on who I see, what I eat, the weather, who knows.
For me, writing this blog has also been more than just finding a cool topic to go on about; it has also been about developing a style and making certain word choices to portray a story to everyone else. Discovering all the different words I can use to describe Italian gelato, and make you feel as if you are tasting it too. It is somewhat like a game or a puzzle: using different words, switching up sentence structure, creating a nice rhythm and flow.
What is so unique about writing a blog is that you somehow have to create your own authentic voice, without actually thinking about it. You want to develop a truthful personality behind your writing; but if you pay too much attention to this, you also risk creating a caricature of yourself. As we questioned in many of Sociology courses, however, does a "true self" even exist? Perhaps we develop several different "selves", which assume in various social situations. So maybe in addition to having "selves" in social interactions, we also develop a "writing self". If so, I'm not sure that I could describe my "writing self" yet; but rather it is something that will grow and evolve the more I WRITE, WRITE, WRITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment