Wednesday, July 7, 2010

We All Scream for Ice Cream


It's only the 2nd day of my blog experiment, and I've already managed to put off writing my next post until 10PM. Not a great start, but better late than never!
Since this morning I waited for something funny, different, or awkward to happen that would be blog-worthy. Well being unemployed and home alone while my siblings are away at summer camp does not make for an exciting or unique day. How am I going to keep up this blog if I'm not even stimulated by anything in my own daily life? The only thing I've been able to experience or feel the past few days is this oppressive heat! Perspiration drips down the back of my shirt the second I step outside, a slimy film of sweat coats my entire body, and my hair frizzes into annoying curly-q's. Ahh!!
But the one thing that could possibly make this heat worth it is the sweet relief of...ICE CREAM! Well, I eat ice cream regardless of the place, temperature, or season; but I at least feel more justified in that extra scoop of mint chocolate chip (and rainbow sprinkles, of course!) during these dog days of summer.
I have done my fair share of ice cream consumption so far this summer. And it all started with gelato. Real gelato. Real ITALIAN gelato. In June, my high school girlfriend and I did a 3 week tour throughout Europe. The entire trip was unbelievable! I real once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Seven Countries, eleven different cities, and still one of the best experiences was the gelato in Italy. On average twice a day, my friend and I indulged in all flavors of the rainbow. Amaretto and mint. Black cherry and coffee. Hazelnut and dark chocolate. We were little gelato chefs, experimenting with the most delicious combinations. But no matter the flavor or the combination, you can't go wrong with real italian gelato. Its smooth, cool, creaminess hits your tongue and the grime crusted into your feet and the salty sweat caked above your lip instantly melts away. With each bite, the velvety goodness massages and soothes your parched throat. And no matter how fast you gulp it down, I don't think it's possible to get brain freeze. Trust me, I practically inhaled this stuff and not once did my head ache, only a lovely taste of heaven for as long as you can savor it.
Now as I'm sitting here at 10:45 at night, I can feel my body thirsting for gelato. Real gelato. Real ITALIAN gelato. Since I won't be eating any of the real thing again for a loooong time, I guess my reserve of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked will have to do. And in this heat, I think it will do just the trick ;)

3 comments:

  1. glad you figured out how to post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cara,
    One of my fondest memories of Italy was the gelatto. Jamie and I also salivate when we think about the gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce we had in a trattoria in Rome that the (locals) and not the tourists go to. Since the Rowers and the Rower/Fays are all foodies we have something in common with you besides relatives! Keep writing and I will keep reading. The photographr got a few great shots of you dancing at th wedding. Next time you are in NY with your mom we will have to go to a great Brooklyn restaurant!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take me back there now :( This post seriously made me salivate!

    ReplyDelete