Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Seduced by Food

I may have discovered the next best thing for foodies. It's like a great romance movie, only about food. Thanks to my friend Jac who sent me the think to a NPR article that proposes the future of food magazines.
Photographer William Hereford combines written recipes with live video footage, all set to sexy French music. This is different than cooking shows on the Food Network. This concept is much more artful, organic, and sensual. There are no performances from bubbly celebrities. This is solely about showcasing the beauty of the food and the tenderness that goes into cooking good food. So the idea is similar to a food magazine in that it explains the recipe step-by-step with salivating images, but here you actually get to witness the transformation of a meal from simple ingredients on a page to a beautiful, finished product.
As I watched this short clip, I felt as if I were being serenaded by a sexy French man on the streets of Paris with a glass of wine in hand--and that's how a good meal should be: its flavors, smells, and tastes should seduce you into an all-encompassing experience. Eating a good meal isn't just about consuming fuel, it's about feeling the entire experience; feeling the love and care and the story behind the meal.
I do wonder how helpful these videos will actually be when cooking in the kitchen. It doesn't seem very practical to stop and rewind, stop and rewind, every time you need to review something. I could also see myself getting so distracted by the beauty of it all, that I would start fantasizing about my French man and the Eiffel Tower and completely forget what I'm supposed to cook.
Who knows if these virtual food recipes will actually catch on, but I am sold. I'd even try to create my own video food recipes as a future blog project. Too bad I possess zero camera skills and lack that seductive, finesse. I can be a little bit frantic when I'm cooking in the kitchen. I'll just have to find me some sexy French music to mask my clumsiness.
Check out the video on this link and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment