Saturday, July 10, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away

This morning has been off to a lovely start. My family is staying at a historic, little inn in Sandwich on the Cape for the weekend. My brother and sister have been at a nearby summer camp, and this is the change-over weekend between camp sessions, so my parents and I came down to the Cape to visit for the weekend. The inn is very charming: beautiful gardens, old-fashioned embroidered quilts, dark wood and old paintings line the hallways.
The weather, however, has not been so pleasing. Early this morning, my dad and I went for a run outside. You would think a 22-year old daughter would be able to outrun her father (today is his birthday, actually!), but he had me panting, quite literally, in his dust. I run on a regular basis, so I was a little embarrassed that I struggled so much to keep up. I will blame some of my lethargy on the immense humidity. The air was so thick with moisture, it felt like I was inhaling molasses. Once we finally made it back to the inn, the sweat dripped out of my pores for a solid half hour. Clothes drenched and still out of breath, I asked my dad, "So, do you feel any older yet?" And he replied, "Well if I can still outrun you, I guess I don't feel that old." Touché.
After a cold shower and a much-deserved breakfast of scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and toast, my brother, sister, and I set out to explore Sandwich. Our adventure came to a disappointing and quick halt. About 5 minutes from the hotel, the heavens opened and the rain came POURING down. We tried to seek refuge by hopping from store to store, but still managed to get absolutely soaked. So now we are back in the inn, waiting for the rain to pass and the sun to peek out. The little cafés and shops that we visited briefly had a similar charm to our inn: handmade crafts, local ingredients, local artists. Hopefully the weather improves soon, so that we can venture out into this cute town. Otherwise, we might just have to go out regardless and risk looking as disheveled and sodden as I did after my defeated run.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I really enjoyed your blog. I see that you also like to travel! I just started a travel and destination blog and I was wondering if you could look and give me feedback?

    crichtravels.blogspot.com

    If you like it, follow me!

    The world is a book and those who do not travel only read a page
    xoxo CRiCH

    ReplyDelete